Jagtar Singh Johal 'moved to solitary' after acquittal

A British Sikh who has been imprisoned in India on terror charges for more than seven years has now been moved into solitary confinement, according to his brother and a human rights group.
Jagtar Singh Johal from Dumbarton was detained on a trip to Punjab a few weeks after his wedding in 2017 accused of being a part of a series of targeted killings of religious and political figures.
A series of nine criminal cases were launched against him in Punjab and in Delhi, but last month he was acquitted in the first of those.
His family and lawyers have always insisted that the evidence against him is almost entirely based on a confession given under severe duress.
Jagtar Singh Johal's brother, Gurpreet Singh Johal, told an All Party Parliamentary Group on arbitrary detention on Wednesday that his brother's conditions had worsened since his acquittal in the first case and that the family had been disappointed with a lack of urgency shown by the UK government.
Mr Johal said: "Jagtar's conditions in prison have deteriorated. He's had his basic privileges taken away and he's isolated in a cell on his own, not allowed to speak to other prisoners.
"As a result he's feeling mentally tortured."

Mr Johal told the BBC that although his brother has been held in solitary confinement for periods in the past, the conditions in which he is being currently held are the most harsh he has faced for years.
He added that 4 March had been a joyful day for his family because of Jagtar's acquittal in the first case. They hoped that the other cases would also collapse because they are based on the same evidence.
Mr Johal said the British government had failed to seize an opportunity to act to call for his acquittal on all other charges and for his release.
He continued: "The Foreign Secretary has offered us a meeting, but that offer is for a meeting in seven to eight weeks' time. We believe that the meeting should be taking place a lot quicker than that.
"As it stands, we don't see the urgency, and we need to see the action from the government."
Human Rights charity Reprieve said now was the moment to secure Jaghtar's release.
Deputy executive director Dan Dolan said: "It's time for the British government to capitalise on that moment and say 'we need to bring him home now' and that is no disrespect to the Indian system, which recognises this principle. An Indian court has found Jagtar not guilty.
"Under the current government, the political leadership's mood music has changed at least. We don't hear so much talk of due process these days.
"But the proof is in the pudding, and we will need to see if that position has changes substantively as well as rhetorically."
A Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office spokesperson said: "The UK government remains committed to working for faster progress on Jagtar's case, and the FCDO continue to work to support Mr Johal and his family.
"The Foreign Secretary has offered to meet Mr Johal's brother and representatives from Reprieve again to discuss Mr Johal's case."
The Indian High Commission (IHC) have been approached for comment. It has always denied poor treatment of Jagtar Singh Johal.